Wednesday, November 12, 2008

make sure you know the queston before you give an answer :)

It was my first week of training at Bealls and I was working in the back room. There was a group of new people being trained, at the same time, to work at a new store. Two of the people were guys ( one black and one hispanic). We were all talking, being in the back room sometimes it would get loud. Well the black guy asked me a question but what I heard wasn't what he really asked. He asked me,"Where are all of the black people at?". Most of us in the back were white women. I thought he had asked what fast food places were in the area....so I said, "Taco Bell". He looked at me funny then told the hispanic guy what I said. Then I realized what he had really asked me and how bad what I had said sounded. I was embarrassed...and told him about the misunderstanding. We all got a good laugh out of that situation.
I wonder how many other times in my life that has happend? I wonder if I have made any offences against people because I didn't make sure I heard what someone was really saying. I am sure we all have. This is a good reminder to stop and take time and truly listen especially when you are expected to give an answer!!
-Casey

2 comments:

Mandy said...

That is hilarious. I wish I could have seen his face when you said that. Oh, well. At least you got it straightened out and he wasn't offended.

Karin said...

This happens DAILY in our office! A weird answer will come out of someone's mouth, the question asker, will look at them like they were crazy... DAILY.